I made this sweet treat a while ago, but never got around to posting it. This month is flying by!
Kheer is one of my favorite Indian desserts, and turns out to be very straightforward to make. Although I have to admit, it works best if you are willing to hang out by the saucepan for 30 minutes or so to stir -- this took me one tv episode to make. :)
KHEER, makes about four servings, adapted from Chaos in the Kitchen
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Handful of golden raisins or chopped pistachios for toppings
- Combine rice and milk in a large saucepan and heat on medium low for about 30 minutes, stirring regularly to keep the bottom of the mixture from burning, until kheer reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the cardamom and condensed milk
- Serve and top with golden raisins or pistachios -- kheer tastes great either served warm or cold. Enjoy!